Early in 1952 around a dozen believers began meeting on a Lord’s day to break bread in the home of Mr and Mrs Bertie Logan which was above Mr Logan’s chemist’s shop in High Street, Donaghadee. As the numbers gathering increased, a larger meeting room was needed so on 30th July 1952 there is a record of a meeting having been held in the Manor Street Orange Hall.
Due to a further increase in numbers attending the meetings the use of a larger meeting room was obtained in the local branch of the British Legion.
During this time a gospel witness was being conducted in a wooden building off Union street under the auspices of the Christian Workers’ Union and some of the above believers were associated with that work. When it was decided that this work should cease those meeting in the British Legion Hall were able to acquire the building for the work of the Assembly and it became known as Bethel Hall, Moat Lawn. The Assembly continued meeting in the Moat Lawn Hall until late in 1973 when a recently built meeting hall in Northfield Road was purchased for the use of the Assembly.
The Lord has blessed the work of the Assembly over the years and continues to do so as the various Gospel outreach activities are carried out. This includes the Sunday School work, which has always been a priority in Bethel, along with monthly visits to some of the local Residential Care homes.